How to get information from the PEC?
Due to confidentiality we do not allow anyone to get the information from PEC about the students as it involves confidentiality. PEC is in the process of formation of a policy in that discipline.
What information does a student report hold?
What is the grading system of PEC?
It is very simple and effective system. We calculate the mean and standard deviation of all the students. Now we take a band which is one deviation wide about the mean of the result. All those students who come in this band are given Grade.
Now as we have established the central grade which is C.
Same approach is applied on C now.
We take a band which is one deviation above the mean of C.
This new band becomes Grade B and all the students falling in this band are awarded grade B.
Similarly one deviation above the mean of this grade gives a new band which becomes band of Grade A.
Similarly we take one deviation from mean below the Grade C band and that is named Grade D and now taking Grade D as basis, we take one deviation below the mean of Grade D band which gives us band E.
What is the procedure of analyzing students responses?
We have applied a very rational concept of criterion reference system for marking the student responses which is very different from the typical mark system.
The typical mark system was not able to tell us about the student further potential in that subject but this new system works on the QUEST software which analyses the performance of the students by entering their responses in digital form.
How a PEC paper is set?
This process is done by the operations manager of PEC who formulates a committee of subject specialist having teachers, Punjab text Book board and from universities. The process has 3 phases.
· They develop a subject matrix which defines the difficulty level of the subject.
· A pilot examination (test exam) is conducted for testing of the paper on 2000 students.
· The final examination is formulated in the end.
What were the objectives of PEC when formed?
The main objective of the PEC was to establish a complete system for the examination of primary and middle calss in Punjab and tocreate the central database for the results of the primary and middle class. PEC was also responsible for the training and advisory body for the teachers, school administration, parents and students. Following are the key objectives.
· To make students enable to understand the curriculum effectively.
· To improve the system of teaching methodology and learning abilities of students.
· To supervise the equity of the result.
· To monitor the education progress at district and provincial level.
· To supervise the progress of each school within each district.
· To give the selection criteria for passing and failing a student.
1. What is Punjab Examination Commission?
It is an organization responsible to administrate the annual examination of primary (grade 5) and Middle (grade 8) class in Punjab. The organization is under Punjab Government
2. Why there was a need for PEC?
The old emanation system was not producing better reslts in many ways and had the following drawbacks.
· Results produced was not comparable amiong the different dist4rcist of the Punjab.
· Content of the textbooks was not valid for all the districts.
· Marking scales and schemes were not appropriate.
· Data base of the complete result on provincial level was absent.